Monday, January 6, 2014

Blog #8

The novel The Outsiders is a great story to read. It is such a well written book and I believe it is so well written because it is full of situations and ideas that can help any person in everyday life. The main character in The Outsiders is Ponyboy. Ponyboy and myself are very much different people living different lives, but at the same time we share many similarities. Ponyboy goes through a tough time throughout the novel. The readers find out that Ponyboy lives with his brothers, Darry and Soda-Pop, because his parents were killed. Ponyboy often feels annoyed and angry at his oldest brother Darry. Ponyboy feels like that because Darry is always giving Ponyboy a hard time. I go through a similar situation with my oldest sister. Many times she gives me a hard time to get better grades, do something around the house so my mother doesn’t get mad, and many other things. I always have gotten annoyed with her and felt like she was just giving me a hard time because she did not like me, just as Ponyboy thought. But, just as Ponyboy realized that Darry only gave him a hard time because Darry cares about him and doesn’t want to see Ponyboy mess up so that he can be successful, I have come to realize the same thing. This is an example of how this story can relate to anyone through its many themes and ideas. Although Ponyboy goes through more extreme troubles in his life such as hiding from the police for murder, getting jumped, and having to worry about a rival gang, we are similar because I also go through many hardships he goes through just not as extreme. Being able to relate to a book makes a book so much better and more interesting to read. It is the best when you can relate to the main character and I am always way more interested in a book when I can relate to the main character.  

No comments:

Post a Comment