Friday, October 18, 2013

Blog #2

Prompt #3
In the novel, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" I am surprised a couple times throughout the novel. There are two people in the novel that really surprise me; Professor Gilderoy Lockhart and Ginny Weasley. Ginny Weasley surprises me in the novel because she is a nice girl who seems very innocent. But in the novel Ginny finds Tom Riddle's diary. The diary manipulates her into doing many things that are bad. The diary makes her do things that she would never do if it hadn't manipulated her. The diary gets Ginny to open the chamber of secrets in the school. When the chamber of secrets opens the snake is released and the snake petrifies many people in the school. When the snake petrifies the people it basically puts them into a coma kind of state where they are basically frozen still and conscious. This part of the novel surprises me so much because everyone expected the heir of Slytherin to be someone in the school currently and I personally expected it to be Draco Malfoy just like Harry, Ron, and Hermione thought for a while. When I found out it was really Tom Riddle's diary manipulating Ginny I was very shocked because she seemed like the last person I expected to have opened the chamber of secrets, especially because she is in Gryffindor! Professor Gilderoy Lockhart surprises me in the novel because in the beginning of the novel he is introduced as being a very famous wizard. I expect him to be a great wizard and a great Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a lot of knowledge because he wrote many books of all the adventures he went on and all of the dark arts he went up against. Also I thought that Professor Lockhart was going to be a great help to Harry Potter throughout the novel and that he was ging to teach Harry many different things about defeating the dark arts and how to become a more powerful wizard. As the novel progresses the reader learns more and more about how he is a fraud. It turns out that Professor Lockhart did not really do any of the things he said he did in his many novels. Professor Lockhart turned out to be not as courageous as he made himself out to be and also a bad wizard. These two characters surprised me because they turned out to be or to do things that are opposite from who I thought they were going to be in the beginning of the novel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment